Why visit the Addo Elephant Park Area?
Friday, 15th October 2021
Prime considerations for visiting the Addo Area are:
- A true African experience but which is malaria free.
- Unforgettable visits to the Addo Elephant Park.
- A choice of 'elephant' activities to supplement your visit to the National Park, such as walking with elephants and elephant-back rides. (Please note - these are not inside the Addo Elephant National Park but offered by a number of Tourism operators in the surrounding area.)
- Excellent accessibility:
- National airport (Port Elizabeth) 30 minutes away.
- Tarred Roads suitable for ordinary cars.
- All the facilities of a large city nearby, if required, such as fine shopping centers, excellent eating places and venues to cater for all sorts of sports, both on land and sea.
- The Greater Addo Area makes a convenient base for exploring many nearby places of interest in the Eastern Cape such as:
- The lovely and extremely historic cathedral and university city of Grahamstown.
- The World Heritage site of the Baviaanskloof Wilderness Area.
- The lush, fertile and scenic Gamtoos Valley around Patensie with its miles of citrus orchards.
- The Zuurberg Mountain and the historic mountain pass used by Gen Smuts during the Anglo Boer War.
The Addo Elephant National Park is located in the dense Eastern Cape Bush of South Africa. It offers visitors spectacular elephant viewing in a malaria free environment.
The park is currently home to more than 550 elephant as well as:
- Cape Buffalo
- Black Rhino
- Various antelope species such as Eland, Kudu, Red Hartebeest etc
- And of course the flightless Dung Beetle which is exclusively found at Addo. (Elsewhere in Africa, Dung Beetles have to migrate with the herds but this is not the case at Addo).
The area surrounding the Addo Elephant National Park offers accommodation ranging from luxury five star lodges to backpacker facilities. Numerous recreational activities ranging from hiking, 4x4ing, horse trails, elephant back safaris and river cruises are offered.
To make the most of your visit make use of one of the experienced Tourist Guide listed on the website. - Get their details here.
Video courtesy Alan Tours